Stone County, Arkansas
- Formed: April 17, 1873
- County Population 1880: 5,089
- Slave Population 1860: NA
- Civil War Engagements
-Skirmish at Sylamore Creek, January 23, 1864
Image courtesy of the David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
Stone County, Arkansas is located on the White River, Blanchard Springs, and Sylamore Creek. The area has abundant stone and timber resources, as well as grazing for livestock. Though Stone County was originally the territory of Native American tribes, white settlement began in the 1830s. Many of the early settlers were veterans from the War of 1812 who had received land grants for their service. Their surnames include Hess, Ivy, and Partee; no first names were found.
Stone County was not officially established until April 21, 1873. The land consisted of territory previously contained within Izard, Independence, and Searcy Counties. Men from the Stone County area fought in military regiments on both sides of the war, but there was little direct troop action in the region. Only two main skirmishes took place in January and May, 1864. The first happened on Sylamore Creek, and the second took place between Confederate General Jo Shelby and a group of bushwhackers. There were a considerable number of residents that opposed both factions of the war and strove to remain neutral. They formed the Peace Society in 1862.
After the war’s end, settlers began recovery, which was aided by growing cash crops like cotton, raising poultry, or trapping furs. The lumber industry also began to boom. After Stone County was formed, Mountain View was named the county seat. Stone County was named after the abundant stone resources in the area. The county population grew steady in the late 19th century, jumping almost 2,000 people from 1880—5,089 people—to 1890—7,043 people.