Rogers Historical Museum
322 South Second St., Rogers, Arkansas 72756
The Rogers Historical Museum, established in 1974, serves the community through:
• educating the public about the history and traditions of Rogers and the surrounding area of Northwest Arkansas;
• preserving our local heritage through research and by collecting and caring for materials that reflect and document the connections between our past and the present and between our area and the nation;
• providing enriching and enjoyable experiences for all; and
• partnering with our neighbors to foster an appreciation of the Rogers area and to encourage investment in its future.
The Museum offers permanent and rotating exhibits on area history and hosts frequent traveling exhibitions. The Museum’s family-friendly exhibits include hands-on activities, and permanent exhibits include “The Attic,” an entirely hands-on area designed for children. The Museum’s historic house, the 1895 Hawkins House, is available for guided tours. Educational offerings for schools include in-house and outreach programs and discovery boxes and other loan programs. Special events include exhibit openings, family days, and an annual Holiday Open House.
The Museum’s Permanent Collection contains roughly 32,000 objects including:
• photographic images and postcards, including many important turn-of-the-20th-century scenes of early Rogers businesses, houses, people, events, and the Frisco Railroad;
• archival materials, including documents, maps, blueprints, club records, books, newspapers, magazines, and programs providing important details of the area’s history;
• flat textiles, quilts, costumes, and accessories, characterizing both typical and unique examples of Victorian fashion and industry, many of which were made or used locally;
• furniture and household items, the majority of which create the scene of early Rogers middle-class home life in the Museum’s historic 1895 Hawkins House; and
• paintings, drawings, and posters, many depicting Rogers subjects and scenes, including a large collection produced by local artist Elsie Mistie Sterling.
The Research Library consists of approximately 4,000 articles, books, research manuscripts, maps, cemetery and obituary records, and photocopies of historical documents and local directories. Oral histories and microfilm of early local newspapers are also available in the Research Library.
An indexed collection of over 4,000 copied prints of historic photographs on local topics is available for research browsing or for duplication for purchase.
10 to 4, Tuesday through Saturday; closed major holidays
Caboose open same hours from May 1 through October 31